Arts, Culture, Education & Sport
Contact Person: Tomaž Matjašec
The Embassy of Slovenia in Ottawa Canada promotes Slovenian art, culture, education, sciences and sport.
Slovenians are proud of their art and culture and it has played an important role in the development of Slovenia.
As mentioned above, Slovenians enjoy a high standard of education which poises them for strong economic performance and future success. Slovenia has four Universities and several colleages and trade schools.
Although Slovenia has approximately 2 million people, sport plays an important role. Slovenians enjoy many sporting activities and complete in many olympic events.
- Ministry of Culture of the Republic of Slovenia
- National Museum
- Slovenian Philharmonic.
- Museum of Modern Art - Information on museum archives, collections, coming exhibitions, etc.
- Slovene Ethnographic Museum - An insight into the museum's temporary and travelling exhibitions, collections, events, etc..
- Slovenia Landmarks - Virtual tour through numerous Slovenian museums.
- Slovenian National Theatre - DRAMA - Information on repertory, programme, guest performances, etc.
- Mladinsko Thatre - What's new, past and coming performances, performing dates, etc.
- Cankarjev Dom - Information on this major cultural institution in Slovenia, calendar of events, archives, etc.
- National and University Library in Ljubljana - NUK - Information on the greatest Slovenian library service and holdings, access to Slovenian on-line catalogue and more.
- 100 years since the birth of the poet Srečko Kosovel (1904-1926)
- 100 anniversary of Vladimir Bartol, the author of Alamut (February 2003)
- 300 years since the Academia Philharmonicorum - the Slovenian Philharmonic was established (September 2001)
- 450 years since Primož Trubar published the first book in Slovene (in the year 2000)
- 200 years since the birth of France Prešeren, the most important Slovenian poet (in the year 2000).
- 1000 years since the oldest known writings in Slovene - The Freising Manuscripts (Brižinski spomeniki)
Education link to education:
Slovenian as a second or foreign language:
- Centre of Slovenian as a foreign language
- Slovenian Language Courses
- Link to different dictionaries of the slovenian language
Wikipedia links to Slovenian Universities: