Issuing of a Passport of the Republic of Slovenia
On August 28, 2006, the Republic of Slovenia started issuing biometric passports in accordance with Council Regulation (EC) No. 2252/2004, which, beside biometry of the facial image, includes also the biometry of two fingerprints.
How to apply for a biometric passport?
Application for Passport may be filed at an administrative unit in Slovenia or at a diplomatic-consular representation of the Republic of Slovenia abroad. Citizens must apply in person, since in the process his or her identification and compliance of the attached photograph with the actual appearance is noted, and his or her signature is required (for everybody above age of 8). Moreover, two fingerprints of citizen older than 12 years will be taken.
- Citizens with permanent or temporary residence outside Slovenia can lodge the application for the issue of a new passport at the diplomatic-consular representations abroad. Those living abroad temporally can lodge the application for a passport at the administrative unit (administrative unit of the permanent residence) in Slovenia
- There is no registry of children in passport of their parents or legal representatives and therefore a child must obtain stand-alone passport.
- For the citizen younger than 3 years, the passport is issued with the validity of 3 years. For the citizen of age from 3 to 18 years, the validity of passport lasts for 5 years. Citizens, who reached age of majority, can obtain passport with the validity of 10 years.
By electronic mail to sloembassy.ottawa(at)gov.si please request an appointment. Suggest a day and hour and if the date will not be confirmed, we will offer you another date as soon as possible. Please indicate your full name, date and place of birth, and your place of residence. We will verify the data and determine whether you can apply for the document or if you must update your vital statistics data first.
You can not apply for a new passport at the Honorary Consulates.
What you need to bring with you to the appointment?
- the (expired) Slovenian passport; if you do not have one, then a color ID and proof of Slovenian Citizenship is required;
- one photo;
- adequate consular fee.
Please be advised that you need a biometric picture,
- Size of the photograph: 3,5 x 4,5 cm or the same size as for the Canadian passport,
- Facial image shall not comprise more than 70% of the photograph (on all of the four sides has to be 3 to 5 mm of empty space from head to the edge),
- The photograph can be black and white or color, the background light brown or light blue, in any case not white or dark blue,
- The person must not show his or her teeth,
- Head has to be leveled, nose in the middle of the photography,
- Sharpness and contrast are important,
- Face has to be evenly brightened and without shadows,
- A persons, who wear glasses, must ensure that the frames do not cover eyes and that there is no visible reflection on the glasses,
- On the photos of children shall not be seen hands of parents or toys (the best way to photograph them is in lying position),
- 161 CAD for passport with the validity of 10 years;
- 106 CAD for passport with the validity of 5 years;
- 80 CAD for passport with the validity of 3 years;
- 66 CAD for passport with the validity of 1 year - in case of loss of passport more than one time.
Consular fee has to be paid in cash or money order.
In case your passport is lost or it was stolen you must notify the Embassy of the Republic of Slovenia as soon as possible for further instructions.