Issuing of a Passport of the Republic of Slovenia
On August 28, 2006, the Republic of Slovenia began issuing biometric passports in accordance with Council Regulation (EC) No. 2252/2004. Therefore, in addition to a biometric facial image, the biometry of two fingerprints is also included.
How to apply for a biometric passport?
Application for Passport may be filed at an administrative unit in Slovenia or at a diplomatic-consular representation of the Republic of Slovenia abroad. Citizens applying for a passport must apply in person. Their signature will be required (individuals over the age of 8). Moreover, two fingerprints of citizens older than 12 years of age will be taken.
- Citizens with permanent or temporary residence outside Slovenia can apply for a new passport at any Slovenian diplomatic-consular representation abroad. Individuals living abroad temporally can lodge the application for a passport at the administrative unit (administrative unit of the permanent residence) in Slovenia.
- Children cannot be registered in passport of their parents or legal representatives. Therefore, a stand-alone passport must be obtained for children.
- Children under the age of 3 will be issued a passport with a validity of 3 years.
- Individuals between the ages of 3 - 18 will receive a passport valid for 5 years.
- Individuals over 18 years of age will obtain a passport with a validity of 10 years.
Please request an appointment by emailing sloembassy.ottawa(at)gov.si. In the email, please include the following information: your full name, date and place of birth, and your place of residence and suggested date and time of appointment.
Applicants cannot apply for a new passport at the Honorary Consulates.
What you need to bring to your appointment?
- the (expired) Slovenian passport; if you do not have one, a color ID and proof of Slovenian Citizenship is required;
- one photo;
- adequate consular fee.
Please be advised that a biometric picture is mandatory,
- Size of the photograph: 3,5 x 4,5 cm or the same size required for a Canadian passport,
- Facial image shall not comprise more than 70% of the photograph (3 to 5 mm of empty space from head to the edge on all four sides is obligatory),
- The photograph can be black and white or color
- Recommended background light: brown or light blue, in any case dark blue will not be accepted,
- The color of the clothing must be different from the background light,
- The individual must not show his or her teeth,
- Head has to be leveled, nose in the middle of the photography,
- Sharpness and contrast are important,
- Face must be brightened evenly and without shadows,
- Individuals who wear glasses, must ensure that the frames do not cover their eyes and that there is no visible reflection on the glasses,
- For biometric photos of children, parents hands and children's toys must not be visible (lying down position recommended)
- 169 CAD for passport with a validity of 10 years;
- 112 CAD for passport with a validity of 5 years;
- 84 CAD for passport with a validity of 3 years;
Consular fee must be paid in cash or money order only.
In case of lost or stolen passport, please notify the Embassy of the Republic of Slovenia immediately / as soon as possible for further instructions.