Issuing of a Passport of the Republic of Slovenia
On August 28, 2006, the Republic of Slovenia began issuing biometric passports in accordance with Council Regulation (EC) No. 2252/2004. Therefore, in addition to a biometric facial image, the biometry of two fingerprints is also included.
How to apply for a biometric passport?
Application for Passport may be filed at an administrative unit in Slovenia or at a diplomatic-consular representation of the Republic of Slovenia abroad. Citizens applying for a passport must apply in person. Their signature will be required (individuals over the age of 8). Moreover, two fingerprints of citizens older than 12 years of age will be taken.
- Citizens with permanent or temporary residence outside Slovenia can apply for a new passport at any Slovenian diplomatic-consular representation abroad. Individuals living abroad temporally can lodge the application for a passport at the administrative unit (administrative unit of the permanent residence) in Slovenia.
- Children cannot be registered in passport of their parents or legal representatives. Therefore, a stand-alone passport must be obtained for children.
- Children under the age of 3 will be issued a passport with a validity of 3 years.
- Individuals between the ages of 3 - 18 will receive a passport valid for 5 years.
- Individuals over 18 years of age will obtain a passport with a validity of 10 years.
Please request an appointment by emailing sloembassy.ottawa(at)gov.si. In the email, please include the following information: your full name, date and place of birth, and your place of residence and suggested date and time of appointment.
Applicants cannot apply for a new passport at the Honorary Consulates.
What you need to bring to your appointment?
- the (expired) Slovenian passport; if you do not have one, a color ID and proof of Slovenian Citizenship is required;
- one photo;
- adequate consular fee.
Please be advised that a biometric picture is mandatory,
- Size of the photograph: 3,5 x 4,5 cm or the same size required for a Canadian passport,
- Facial image shall not comprise more than 70% of the photograph (3 to 5 mm of empty space from head to the edge on all four sides is obligatory),
- The photograph can be black and white or color
- Recommended background light: brown or light blue, in any case dark blue will not be accepted,
- The individual must not show his or her teeth,
- Head has to be leveled, nose in the middle of the photography,
- Sharpness and contrast are important,
- Face must be brightened evenly and without shadows,
- Individuals who wear glasses, must ensure that the frames do not cover their eyes and that there is no visible reflection on the glasses,
- For biometric photos of children, parents hands and children's toys must not be visible (lying down position recommended)
- 177 CAD for passport with a validity of 10 years;
- 117 CAD for passport with a validity of 5 years;
- 88 CAD for passport with a validity of 3 years;
- 73 CAD for passport with a validity of 1 year (in case of loss of passport more than one time)
Consular fee must be paid in cash or money order only.
In case of lost or stolen passport, please notify the Embassy of the Republic of Slovenia immediately / as soon as possible for further instructions.